Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Inquisition, Melechesh, and others at The Key Club on 10/28 - The Hater Recap

The past seven days have been nothing but non-stop concerts for me and there is more on the horizon! I visited The Key Club Sunday night to see Septic Flesh and various other acts I anticipated as being boring and uninteresting (the lineup was mostly black metal - not my thing). I hate to be a negative Nancy but this night had more downs than ups. 

The Key Club is fast becoming my least favorite venue. They opened the doors an hour and a half late, the bar was cash only, they were out of sweet potato fries and Jack Daniels, and security moved the line so slowly I thought I might lose my shit and kill someone. Seriously, the last thing I want to do is discourage people from going out to see metal shows but The Key Club SUCKS so prepare accordingly. Oh, and one of my buddies who played there recently said they treated his band like shit backstage. Well, enough ranting about that.

The opening act was surprisingly really good! I don't like much black metal but Inquisition pulled me in with a stunning performance, especially considering that there were only two guys in the band. Front man Dagon's guitar and vocal styles were similar to Abbath's (of Immortal). He made a thunderously impressive amount of noise for one person and got most of the cranky, defeated crowd to forget the one and a half hour line saga they had just endured. He also had the epic power stance! The drummer also had serious chops and laid down some wickedly fast double bass. Major props to these dudes.

I also really enjoyed Melechesh, a Mesopotamian metal band that played after Ex Deo. These guys were a crunchy, energetic blend of thrash and black metal with a middle eastern sound. They had a local guy named Caleb filling in on rhythm guitars but I think everyone else was from overseas. It was a multicultural kind of night.

The rest of the night was sadly a bit of a let down. There was entirely too much backing track being relied upon by the other bands and not nearly enough soloing or creative guitar playing. You can't win 'em all. But really, most of the concerts I attend are consistently awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment